Ilha Blue are responsible tour operators based in Mozambique. We’d like to invite talented individuals to come to Mozambique and work with local people involved (or wanting to become involved) in tourism. Our aim is to increase local participation in tourism and to improve the benefits that people enjoy from their involvement. As well as economic benefits we believe that tourism can provide the driving force for increased protection of the marine environment, something that is desperately needed and which will deliver a broad range of social benefits too.
We are open to ideas and will consider anything (truly anything) that is of an educational nature, benefits local people and broadly fits in with what we hope to achieve with our responsible tourism business.
We can offer the right person:
- Your own room in a world heritage 17th century merchant house that fronts the main street and backs onto the sea
- A lively social environment
- A supportive workplace
- The chance to make a difference
Here is an example of a fantastic volunteer opportunity with Ilha Blue. We advertised this earlier and while we got a great response, including a couple of people who have since volunteered to do something different with us, this position remains unfilled. So suitable people apply now!
Do you love the ocean?
Do you have experience working or volunteering in a development situation?
Do you speak Portuguese? (this is not absolutely essential but would be very very useful)
You could be our ideal volunteer.
Right now we are looking for someone to work with us for at least six to eight weeks to help expand our marine tours. We already do kayaking and island camping safaris and we are getting started with snorkeling and whale watching trips too.
The volunteer position involves:
- Getting to know the coastal area to find the best sites for our activities
- sharing your discoveries with the rest of our team so we can put the activities together properly
- helping to train local guides to deliver these activities
- spreading the news of what you are doing by taking great photos and films for our website and writing interesting stuff for our blog
- fostering good environmental practice in our business
We’ve got the boats, the gear, and the skilled sailors. You need to be passionate about creating positive change, open to new ideas and excited to meet new people. This is a great opportunity for a self-starter to have an experience they will remember for the rest of their lives.